I'm a Mormon.

Thursday, March 13, 2008

the Rescuer Down Under

I'm feeling everything at once right now. Six weeks left. Sister Erickson's moving. I'm staying. I have no idea who's coming. I have no post-mission plans, which I guess means my options are verrrrry open. Here's some events, some more significant than others.

1. Joy and Russ White, Americans in the ward, took us today to the Healesville Sanctuary about an hour away. It's in another stake, so we had to get permission from President Lindley, so I felt special. The place is basically a small interactive Australian zoo. The zookeepers come out at appointed times to do feedings and shows. The best was the birds of prey presentation. The barking owl (really, they sound like dogs) swooped right over our heads for a few minutes, to the delight of the audience. The falcon caught food when the guy threw it in the air. The buzzard picked up rocks to break open a plastic egg they gave her. Sister Erickson and I were hurrying to see the platypus and we ran literally into a flock of pelicans who somehow knew it was about to be their feeding time. When I was in third grade (I think), we studied endangered species and I chose to study the platypus. Ever since then I've wanted to see one, and today I did. Little girls' dreams really do come true :) I saw flying foxes, or fruit bats hanging in a family--Stellaluna! We went into the night animals exhibit. It was so dark. I kept running into Sister Erickson, even though she was standing right next to me. I couldn't see her! We saw all types of animals from the Rescuers Down Under, including Joanna the goanna and Frank the frilled lizard.

2. I received a letter from my mission president yesterday that was REALLY nice. I'd written him to ask for suggestions on goals for when I go home. He said some things about how he felt when he finished. His suggestion was to make goals regarding study, planning, and scheduling, but his specific advice was to make sure that I am socially active so I can be a good influence on my peer group--not for the sake of getting to know or dating young men. I didn't expect that.

3. Somehow Sister Erickson and I together are a recipe for horror huntsman stories. She was cleaning out her closet last night--I was standing by her talking--and she made some dramatic noises... in the back of the closet was a huntsman mother nurturing her hundred babies. Why!?!?!?! This happened last year, and as far as I know, it hasn't happened to anyone else. Even though it was about 10:30 pm, we called the elders and asked them to come rescue us from the invasion. They came. They captured the mother and sprayed the babies. These spiders are vile. They're not dangerous, but they look like tarantulas. We couldn't sleep with those in our room. We caught them just in time, too...

4. Somehow, our teaching opportunities keep expanding. There's this guy, Dave, the friend of Garren. We've been trying to get him to let us teach him since forever. He's the one that's colorblind and asks us to help him coordinate his outfits :) Friday we had Vilma with us for an appointment that didn't work out and we wanted to help her have a good experience so we tried Garren though we didn't think he'd be home. Dave was home, he let us in, we watched the Restoration DVD, and by the time we came back a couple of days later, he'd read a significant portion of the Book of Mormon. He lost the card we wrote his assignment on, so he read a lot so he wouldn't miss the part we gave him. We were amazed!

Another guy, Cameron. I think I already wrote about the Easter initiative, but maybe not... we're helping members choose friends to give Finding Faith in Christ pass-along cards to as an Easter gift. The El Salvador family, the Pereiras, started talking about this good friend their dad has that talks to him about the Church, reads the Book of Mormon, wants to participate in service projects... we're thinking, why don't we know about this guy!? So we went to talk to him, and he's so wonderful, and he wants to learn more!

I need to go, tomorrow's a big day and we have people to visit before Sister Erickson leaves. All these blessings are pouring in and I know I'll be so busy during these next few weeks. I'm trying to put everything into it. I adopted as my motto "the time that is left is worth as much as the time that's passed." President Lindley said if I make this the best transfer of my mission I will carry that energy with me into post-mission life. I will. Please pray for me!

:)
Lots of love
Sister Nilsen

No comments: