I'm a Mormon.

Monday, February 2, 2009

concession to opportunity

I'd been trying to finish this for a couple of months now...

I'm checking all the locks
and these keys are made of wood
all the pieces people give me
just aren't working like they should

Spinning closed, the doors
take no pain to apologize
though one gaping door remains
I'm not ready for goodbye

I step with blinded heart
a reluctant, lone escape
and commence down unlit stair
not convinced I'll find my way

Risking backward glance
I can see this wasn't mine
merely salt in pillars stacked
imitating my designs

I turn ahead to scale
a staircase wide enough for one
and in wonder ponder all
such expeditions I've begun

Interrupts spiral descent
Light so gentle yet so bold
watch, in mercy it concedes,
bends to turn these keys to gold

Now ringing in my grasp
tokens polished and so pure
keys once wooden but since changed
open thresholds to explore

2 comments:

Case said...

I LOVE!
Did the literary night just boost you to post this...haha.
It is really good. I love the keys turning to gold and the new expeditions to explore that come with it. Thats what I hope we are both in for this year girl. :)

Lily said...

um, this is AMAZING! love it.