I'm a Mormon.

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

my first poem to my new home

Miami, I will love you
don't know how to but I will
and if you dare me not to
then I'll try harder still

Lovable moments from Tuesday's commute:
1. Adjacent businesses Dogma Grill and Karma Carwash
2. Car affixed to the side of a 3-story building, like it had used the building as a runaway truck ramp (which term you may only understand if you've driven on steep mountain passes) and stopped 3/4 of the way up. Why? I don't know.
3. Abandoned white stucco building where someone painted the phrase "Art By God" and silhouettes of dinosaurs parading across like ducklings

Lovable sequence of events from after work:
1. Hearing a 0% chance of rain forecast for the evening
2. Finally using the Savanna-is-beach-ready bag I now keep in the car at all times
3. Discovering that parking meters in Miami Beach are free after 6 p.m.
4. Finding the place where the savanna meets the ocean (I am both a person and a geographical feature) and that it is exactly 1.5 miles from my house
5. About that place: it's just the kind of beach that I prefer. It drops off pretty fast so it's deep enough for real swimming. It is still hot at 6 p.m. and the water is pretty much the same temperature as the air. I'd actually never experienced that before. Amazing. You know where I'll be at 6 p.m. as often as possible.


I found the dinosaur parade on a Google Image search.


Ooh, and the car too!


3 comments:

Savanna said...

I repent. It is not an abandoned building. It is a bizarre store. http://www.miamiherald.com/living/home/florida-finds/story/1059069.html

Kristi said...

Already so many wonderful things to love. All your beach stories make me super jealous.

RyGuy said...

Those pictures are awesome, as is your life by the sounds of it!

Rachel