I wrote this as an entry on my good friend Dain's website, theironrod.org. He built it as a forum where people can read sections of the Book of Mormon at the same time then discuss their reading. He was inspired by his friends who have joined the church but have fallen away because they haven't gained a testimony of the Book of Mormon.
I teach middle school science to students from a community where everyday life is infused with violence and poverty. I'm doing this because I believe they, with strong leadership, can change their stars if they get a solid education. Many people--my friends, some coworkers, and others--have told me these particular kids can't learn, have made disparaging remarks about their neighborhood, have advised me to quit, and have said other things that would undermine my efforts.
While reading Jacob 5 during our silent reading time at the beginning of the school day, I came across these verses that deeply affected me:
21 And it came to pass that the servant said unto his master: How comest thou hither to plant this tree, or this branch of the tree? For behold, it was the poorest spot in all the land of thy vineyard.
22 And the Lord of the vineyard said unto him: Counsel me not; I knew that it was a poor spot of ground; wherefore, I said unto thee, I have nourished it this long time, and thou beholdest that it hath brought forth much fruit.
People have told me how poor this spot of ground is where I work, but look! I am nourishing it diligently, with heart and tears. It will bring forth fruit: it will bring people successfully to an academic future, adulthood, and hopefully some other results that I cannot forsee.

2 comments:
Do not give up! Those kids need you! It's because of all the naysayers that kids like those in your class end up ruined for life. They need people who believe in them!! I am so proud of you.
Great insight. I can't believe that people actually tell you that though, I thought people only thought like that in movies back in the 60s and stuff. I thought people these days knew better. tisk, tisk.
Post a Comment