I'm a Mormon.

Sunday, January 31, 2010

maybe this is what i want.

exchanged glances, inside jokes
late-night talks of love and hope
plan the future, see the past
making our together last

spreadsheet, budget, morning news
scrambled eggs and orange juice
ride to school and then ballet
get the dishes put away

sprinklers, swimsuits, lemonade
take a nap once we have played
tigers, zebras at the zoo
picnic, playground, sand in shoes

porch swing underneath the moon
end of summer, come too soon
telling stories, calming cries
thunderstorms and fireflies

pumpkins, peacoats, fallen leaves
orange and gold and red on trees
tiny batman down the street
fairy princess, trick or treat

waffles, bacon, jam on toast
prepare the lamb for sunday roast
all dressed up for sabbath day
learn to serve, learn to pray

exchanged glances, inside jokes
late-night talks of love and hope
plan the future, see the past
making our together last

6 comments:

Rachey said...

Did you really write this? It is wonderful I love it!

P.S. I saw the Beauty and the Beast reference in the original title and liked that too

Savanna said...

yes. i wrote it. :)

*alternate title is "provincial life: maybe this is what i want" (i think)

Raich said...

i enjoyed

Spence said...

Wow! That's a great poem Sav.

michelle said...

You wrote it?? I LOVED it Savanna! Seriously...reading that poem makes me want that too...definitely.

teachergirl said...

love.
love.
love.

it is exactly what i want. i know this for sure. my english major self really loves the repetition. it makes it for me.