I'm a Mormon.

Friday, April 23, 2010

fragments of No. 2 pencil: a metaphor?

This day is hilarious. There are about 6 weeks of school left in M-D County, which of course means that this is the effectual end of the year. I have zero pencils left for school supply-barren students and reeeeeeeeeeally don't want to buy more because the pencils I buy are nomadic by nature. Or perhaps they are wood-and-graphite magicians skilled in the art of disappearing.

A few students don't have pencils for the test my advanced classes are taking in order to qualify for the honors earth-space course next year. A search of my desk produced a black two-headed pencil (someone had sharpened both ends) and just the eraser part of another one, still nestled in its metal cradle. The two students I gave them to--one needing a pencil; the other, and eraser--found receiving these items just as hilarious as I did giving them out. What? It doesn't sound funny? I promise, it was, especially against the seriousness of the test.

2 comments:

Savanna said...

Also I just got street cred by pickpocketing a kid. One of three kids were causing their phones to make a high-pitched sound. Two of them gave me their phones. The last one wasn't going to give it to me if I asked so I just took it out of his pocket. Some kids were seriously impressed. Not supposed to do that but it was the least intrusive method.

Savanna said...

And now I am listening to a student who came in after school to finish a test who is explaining how he wants to have a baby when he is 20 because otherwise the baby's parents will be too old.