I don't know if I've told you, but I have mad bizarre dreams, often involving me trying to save people from large-scale disaster or trying to hide from someone who wants to take my life (I usually have powers of invisibility when being pursued. Sometimes I can fly.). Perhaps this is a bizarre thing to post on the internet, but I need to write about this one so it can stop chasing me when I am awake.
Last night I was in the throes of the Holocaust. Most of the dream's characters were children. I'm pretty sure I was a child too. In order to escape the genocide, I climbed a mountain road near a frozen river. And guess who drives by? That's right. Hitler. I, pretending I did not know who he was, approached his car and issued him an extremely polite "Hello, Sir," hoping that my sweet innocence would not incur his displeasure. (He was prone to shoot people at will.) Eventually, I was living in a sort of safe house on the edge of an ocean. Every family living there was planning their escape--mostly by plane, although I knew that most people who attempted to flee that way would be intercepted and executed. I was planning an escape by kayak across the deep, dark sea and over the mountains on the other side. I had no idea what to do when I got to the mountain, but I was responsible for three people and was our only hope. It turned even more disturbing when four of the characters were my students--all African-American boys. I begged them (brothers K&D B, DS, and JC the only seventh-grader) to stay in the house out of sight and stay safe. At one point, I looked in the mirror and knew that my blue eyes were keeping me alive (I have green eyes in real life). A white family moved into the upstairs of the house, however, small girls with light blond hair, and they were in danger as well.
I am of the persuasion that dreams are meaningful somehow. I just hope the meaning of this one is more complex than white guilt.
There. I did it. Feel free to discuss.

2 comments:
The SAME type of crazy dreams happen to me! Just last night, I dreamed my sister and I were at the zoo and she got attacked by an anaconda. I was of course screaming bloody murder and trying to pull out either my phone or the knife I had in my backpack, but coming up only with my chinese fan. It was awful. Where do these things come from?
Super scary. In the future, never talk to Hitler. I have never had a white guilt dream, but sometimes I have white guilt feelings, but they make me mad and I make them go away. I never did anything wrong, why should I feel guilty. I also get the I am a rich American guilt, too.
Post a Comment