I'm a Mormon.

Monday, March 28, 2011

The Pop Music Critic: Like a Tattoo

I am an NPR fiend. (I've tried to think of a similarly powerful word with fewer alternate connotations, but I haven't come up with one yet.) I can tell time by what's happening on the radio no matter the time of day--during the workday, I can only tell you the hour, but before 9:00, I can tell you the time almost to the minute. This is actually really useful because the info screen in my Saab signed out of my life a couple of years ago.

Anyway, my ticket to knowing very little about a very lot is NPR. My CD player is broken, my tape player for an adapter is broken, FM transmitters won't work in my car, and I need intelligent adult time daily, so I've come to rely on NPR. The only downside with the local NPR station is that at 9:06 pm, Radio l'Ecole, programming in Haitian Creole, begins. After that it's random jazz and Sounds of the Caribbean very late. I do not speak Haitian Creole and I don't often feel like listening to jazz. Miami radio stations are either annoying club music about girls who brush their teeth with whiskey, bachata, or Delilah, so I've had to find myself another radio station. It's hard to find but I have programmed it in.

I promise I'm getting somewhere with this.

While listening to the other radio station, I've come across songs with lyrics that absolutely must be openly criticized. :) Example:

You're on my heart, just like a tattoo. I'll always have you. 


This is NOT a compliment, nor is it reassuring. Tattoos get uglier the longer you have them. I intend to become more and more beautiful with age. I do. So if you plan on always having me, please don't refer to me as a tattoo.

No comments: