I'm a Mormon.

Wednesday, February 6, 2008

i want it to rain all day for a week. it's been so hot.

#1 favourite moment: a while ago Sister E suggested Jeff Ward, a member here, as fellowship for when Garren came to church. Garren hasn't come yet, but we talked to him last week and he was talking about a project he's working on. We recognized it as a project that Jeff Ward is working on. Turns out they're collaborating in a self-help builders' group to build their new houses--they're building the same plan in the same neighborhood. They already know each other and will for years to come. Another miracle! We told Jeff last night and he's so excited. It was a divine assurance to me that though little may happen with Garren while I'm here, still he'll be under the radar of Church members and he will make progress.

Another favourite moment this week was when we met a family from Mauritius while walking to an appointment. The grandchildren spoke English just fine, but the grandmother didn't at all, so I commenced a short conversation with her in French. It was nearly all the French I could produce at that moment, but Sister Erickson didn't know I even knew any, and in the middle of the conversation I looked at my companion to see her astonished. It was so fun.

Sunday morning we had an interim zone meeting at 7:45 am before stake conference. I thought we were going to be scolded, but it was actually a fun meeting. We were discussing how best to work with members. President Lindley brought up the talk from the last General Conference called "Facts, Faith, Family, Fruits" (or something) and I mentioned that I'd been wanting to use that talk to help families prepare that card with quick facts on it so they can share when asked just "a little" about the Church. President Lindley asked if members would be more likely to listen if Elder Ballard was actually there (of course he would) so I was led to figure out how to bring Elder Ballard to members' houses. I said...hmm... I would watch the conference DVD with them. President asked where I would get it. I replied from the bishop or library. He and the zone leaders acted sceptical. I said, okay I guess I'll have to buy my own copy? Right then Elder Levin pulled out a DVD of four highlighted talks from Oct 2007 General Conference and handed it to me. Long story, but yet another of my favourite moments this week.

We met a guy from Zimbabwe while visiting Rachel and John from Congo (Kinshasa) called Shepherd who already seems like a member and says he's searching for truth. If he's searching, he'll find it.

I want to write about the funeral but I have no time! It was so powerful and inspired me to be a dedicated Church servant, loving and dedicated, throughout my life. I've resolved to have these last 3 months be the most selfless of my mission/ life so far. It'll be hard!

Gotta go!
Love you!

No comments: