I'm a Mormon.

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

news from the ends of the earth

G'day. I'll just jump into it. The past week has seen a verrrry cool change, including occasional rain. I think of it as a divine gift just for me to help me survive and do my work.

On Sunday we went to some members' house for the family-and-friends potluck dinner following their baby's blessing. It was fast Sunday, and I didn't think it was going to be too hard this time, but it didn't go too well. My brain decided to slow down while tracting that morning and it was all I could do to try and think about something other than bed all through church in the afternoon. At the dinner I just felt sicker and sicker and all these moms started fussing over me, and after eating I felt even worse. The mother of the new baby reacts similarly to low blood sugar and described it as feeling like she's about to go into a coma. :) Anyway, I'm telling this story because just before we left to go to a teaching appointment I got a blessing from a patriarch and a member of the temple presidency--a Polynesian named White and a white Aussie named Brown. Brother White made the joke that President Brown got his name. Heh. I feel silly for expecting something different to happen when I don't eat other than what happens every time.

That evening at home I couldn't do anything--I just lied down on the floor and listened to a BYU devotional on CD. It was Mark Peterson's talk. I realized that there's almost nothing more comforting when you're feeling miserable than hearing the voice of someone you love. So thanks Mark, and I'm doing reasonably well at blossoming where I'm planted. :)

Sister Erickson talked yesterday while searching for new investigators about how thankful we are to be in this ward. I've never felt more comfortable in any other ward on my mission. Everyone is so accepting, warm, supportive. They treat us like we're members that are permanently part of their ward. I can't consistently say that about everywhere I've been. It's such a nice place to finish a mission.

We saw Ebony and Kaila yesterday. Kaila has turned into a little Primary teacher. She reads the children's Book of Mormon stories to her friend, and has taught her the plan of salvation, and they say prayers together. I tried to explain to them how Asael Smith (who was on the first page of the Relief Society/Priesthood lesson this week) is Joseph Smith's grandfather, and he's also my great-great-great-great grandfather, so I'm related to the prophet, but Kaila just wouldn't have it. Ebony kept saying "Kaila, they don't tell lies." I thought that was so sweet, because we try not to! Kids these days, they're too young to be sceptics, but they are.

Also yesterday we went to drop off our jackets to be dry cleaned in preparation for our meeting this week, and Veronica, the shop owner, initiated a conversation with us about how she's lost trust in God, but not in Christ, and how she wants her faith back. We asked if we could teach her but she thinks we're already going to her house because an older couple comes around and brings her books like the Watchtower. Nooooooooooo!!!!!!!!! That's the third time this week we've met someone who thinks WE are already teaching them, and we're not! We're going to pick up our clothes today so we will come prepared with something for her to read--one of my favourite articles by Elder Holland about how in everything that Christ did, he was trying to teach us about the character of God. It's called "The Grandeur of God" from the November 2003 Ensign. In fact, here's the link. http://www.lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=2354fccf2b7db010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD&locale=0&sourceId=93d174536cf0c010VgnVCM1000004d82620a____&hideNav=1
That was a long link. I LOVE when people start talking to US, especially in businesses.

More spiders: on Thursday evening there was a huntsman spider the size of a cereal bowl, and maybe bigger, in the gym at church.

I'm getting nervous about coming home someday. This time I say that because we went to an indoor sand volleyball court last p-day with the elders in our district. The radio is on and I found myself silently hoping/praying that they would just play some fun, innocent songs because there was a sequence of several obscene songs that came on. But it's normal music, meaning songs you'd hear any day. Some did come on eventually. Sometimes missionaries find rules hard--like not listening to just any music--but I think it's nice to live as purely as possible for a little while. I think I'll always be sensitive to it though.

All of the missionaries went to the worldwide leadership training session this past Saturday. It was strange to see
Thomas S. Monson
President
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
written on the screen while President Monson spoke. I miss President Hinckley. But it was powerful to see that he really is the new prophet.

We met a lady sometime this week, the elegant and beautiful Sara, while tracting. We asked her if we could teach her and her reply was perplexing: No thanks--my husband and I are searching for a religion. The logical thing to say would have been "yes, please! my husband and I are searching for a religion."

Yesterday a member in our ward, the stake Relief Society president, took Sister Erickson and me out to lunch at a very expensive little cafe. I felt a little uncomfortable, but the food wasn't boring, so it was nice.

I want to write about Jeff and Rostel Ward a little. Jeff is this amazing cook who can eat anything at a restaurant and then recreate it at home. We had this Thai-inspired dish at their house Friday and it was the most delicious thing I'd ever had. He's SO excited about the gospel, and he's so excited that he knows our investigator Garren. His wife is a Filipina who joined the church after their marriage. I've been wondering through my whole mission how to get ahold of these several speeches that I remember as the highlights of my BYU devotional education, and we got to his house and he was talking about how all he ever listens to are BYU devotionals, and he was quite happy to find those talks and make a few CDs for me. It's really unfortunate how much I haved missed BYU over the past year and a half, and how I miss it still, and I'm disappointed that I've already graduated.

Oh, the sisters in Dandenong are teaching a lady who moved from Iran with the intention of seeking asylum and becoming a Christian. She has to keep her conversion a secret from the people she lives around. We are not supposed to work closely with anyone whose life would be endangered by becoming Christian, but she is working on it with a lawyer and seeking asylum and a visa. Sounds familiar? Maybe we could connect her with someone who has had a similar experience?

This is nearly over. Sister Erickson and I have been battling lately to get new investigators--it's been a few weeks now with not that much success. I feel like we've been working harder lately. I don't want to lose it at the end. It's hard but it's not that bad, and this is the happiest lifestyle I think a young person could lead at this time in life. That is a strange statement, and seems contradictory, but it's not because happiness doesn't directly correlate with situations--it comes from being aligned with what's right. Anyone can have access to that! Amazing!

Okay, the end. Please write!
Sister Nilsen

PS I had a dream last night that I approached the mailbox and I had several packages waiting for me. :)

No comments: