I'm a Mormon.

Monday, April 14, 2008

one last week

I just found out I'll be speaking in church, reporting on my mission, in Longmont at 9 AM on 27 April, the building at the intersection of Alpine St and 17th Avenue, on Sunlight Dr or Red Cloud Rd or wherever it is. Come and see! :) :)

Hi, I'm going to write this fast because I just found out we're going to Dandenong to go roller skating, roller hockey to be specific. Ha, I had a dream a couple of days ago that I went roller skating. I'm preparing to be embarrassed. That's not new by now.

My last zone conference was so nice. Someone from the Church missionary department visited our mission recently and saw that we need more practice crying repentance. Our zone leaders, Elder Standley and Elder Levin, did a training and I was captivated. I didn't want them to stop talking. They did a role play where Elder Levin was the investigator, a man, Catholic, devoted to his family, and Elder Standley explained that what keeps families from being together forever is sin. It was so powerful because usually missionaries sit with the investigator and explain the steps of repentance, but this time there was some actual spiritual work going on because Elder Levin, even as a posing investigator, was actually making decisions to change. It was sooooo powerful and made me want to have an intense, deeply personal lesson with the people we're teaching. I also had to do my departing testimony, which took me by surprise. I knew I would do it, but when it was time, it felt so foreign.

Later that day we ran into a Swedish-Australian girl and I was looking forward to hearing a good Swedish name (because I feel part Swedish), but she said her name is really personal to her and she wouldn't tell us. Just after that we met Kim, an Aussie with an American accent, a mother with two small boys who's going through a divorce. Her husband moved in with someone else... she said she's at a time in her life when she'd be receptive to the message, so we're excited to get to know her.

We didn't get to teach John this week because his wife didn't want us to when her dad was staying with them. Arrrgh.

General Conference. I hope I will always remember standing with the Australian saints to sustain President Monson and the other General Authorities. Elder Holland fulfills my ultimate image of what a prophet is, and it was so nice to see Elder Bednar speak after meeting him last month and knowing him a little more personally. He repeated teachings I'd thought he'd told only to us. :) . General Conference always refreshes my spirit. I wish it happened every three months. Nikki, Nakia, and Hailey came to the Sunday afternoon session. We didn't think we'd had any investigators attend, which was really disappointing since there were 4 sessions we could have had people at, but as we walked out, a cheerful little blonde person with two long braids had her little arms around me. It was such a happy moment.

So, that's it for now. I will probably write again next Monday for my last time.

See you next week!
Sister Nilsen

No comments: