I'm a Mormon.

Monday, April 21, 2008

see you at the airport!

I don't want to write much today. I'm not bringing many things home, mostly treats. That way they won't become more stuff in the house, and food is more memorable anyway :)

We ran into this beautiful girl our age by her car who told us she's Muslim but her brother would want to talk to us, so we went and met him in the house, and he brought out this stack of books two feet high he's received from various people who have come proselyting--he has a Book of Mormon, good news Bible, a big red Bible, several other Bibles, a Bahai publication, etc. He gave each of us a Qu'ran, which I was really excited about because I've been wanting one for a few years now, and I was very inspired by his passion and reverence for his scripture. I think all missionaries should have such an experience near the start of their mission so they can incorporate such excitement into their speaking of the Book of Mormon.

Catherine told us this week she didn't want us to come anymore :( and John didn't come to church like he said, but he's still in the game.

People say that if you just say do it quickly like ripping off a band-aid, saying goodbye is easier. But this hurts a lot more than pulling off a band-aid. One less-active lady we've been visiting said she feels like she's losing a daughter, and Garren and John wanted hugs and I had to tell them no, and after my talk on Sunday Bishop Skibbe thanked me and my companions and told everyone we've been very committed sisters. (I sometimes wish I could see this myself; we often feel acutely our weaknesses and mistakes more frequently than what good we've done...) This beautiful little 3-year-old girl, daughter in a family we're teaching that is returning to church, the one who called me Mr. Mousen, glued some feathers and puffball things onto a page for me.

We've found a LOT of new investigators this week, which is what I wanted so I could leave the new sister that's coming in with lots of appointments and things to do so she'll be happy in the beginning of her mission (Sister Fangupo is training someone new). One is Anne, a lady from Vanuatu. When I saw her walking down the road I wasn't sure whether she was an Indian man, hehe, and it was tough to grab her, but we got an appointment and had a great lesson with a member on Friday night. The member was perfect--she's just what we've been hoping for. She invited Anne to church, and said she wanted her to come over for dinner, and asked if she could just stop by sometimes, and shared a very personal testimony of the Book of Mormon. Another new investigator is Daniel, son of Julie Fraser, the lady who believes Christ has visited other people around the world and who fought against our church being built here.

We're going to play roller hockey again (it was great fun... ummm... I'm not going to claim that I've discovered a hidden talent) today so it's time to go. I do want to say though my gratitude is bubbling over for this strange wonderful enchanting agonizing enabling experience I've had for the past year and a half in the Australia Melbourne (East) mission. My trainer, Sister Wang, wrote me from China last week and reminded me that I'll be connected to these people eternally. Having responsibility for their welfare has etched them into my heart... I guess I know a little what Christ meant when he said "I have engraven thee upon the palms of my hands" because I can feel that too. I know a little more how it works. I feel that I know my Saviour much better, and I know how to serve Him. I have received knowledge that no man can dispute about the truths of eternity, about the way God chooses prophets and gives them authority to teach us and allow us to make covenants. The prophets God calls, from Joseph Smith to Thomas Monson now, hold the key of power from God. God is our Father, our Heavenly Father, and there is no selfishness in him. He wants our happiness. These holy truths comfort the soul.

I'll see you in Denver on Wednesday afternoon!
I love you.
Sister Nilsen

No comments: