I'm a Mormon.

Tuesday, December 2, 2008

"Come what may, and love it"

My Google Reader just told me that a lovely lovely man died last night. I have been admiring Elder Wirthlin more and more over the past couple of years because of the eloquent messages of his conference talks, so I wanted to write a quick note. This was one of the most powerful General Conference moments for me. You need to have watched it to know just what I mean.

("Come what may, and love it" is from his most recent talk. His mother used to say it to him.)

Joseph B. Wirthlin, Oldest Apostle, Dies, Age 91
SALT LAKE CITY 2 Dec 2008 Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin, the oldest living apostle of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, died last night, age 91. Elder Wirthlin had gone to bed at his Salt Lake City home, and died peacefully at about 11.30 pm of causes incident to age.... He had continued to work at his office right up until the Thanksgiving holiday.

3 comments:

teachergirl said...

oh wow.

i'm glad i heard this news from you, because i think you feel the same way about him as i do.

he will be missed, but i am ever so happy to know where he is right now.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you reminded me of that moment. It was a good moment.

michelle said...

I also adored Elder Wirthlin and his talks. I always loved his talks...