I'm a Mormon.

Friday, January 16, 2009

don't tell Joe McCarthy

I'm going to China in a little less than a month to visit my trainer and first two converts from my mission. I'm getting pretty excited about my first visit to a communist country. My favorite parts about the State Department's description of China (make sure you read the one about crowds who gather to pose as a jury after "incidents"):

*Political power remains centralized in the Chinese Communist Party.

*Visitors are expected to register with the police within 24 hours of arrival in China. Americans planning on staying in private homes with family or friends must go to their local police station to register. (I didn't know that until just now. Thanks DOS.)

*American citizens should be aware that, in some areas, natural gas is not scented to warn occupants of gas leaks or concentrations. In addition, heaters may not always be well vented, thereby allowing excess carbon monoxide to build up in living spaces. Due to fatal accidents involving American citizens, travelers are advised to ensure all gas appliances are properly vented or to install gas and carbon monoxide detectors in their residences. These devices are not widely available in China and should be purchased prior to arrival.

*Security personnel may at times place foreign visitors under surveillance. Hotel rooms, telephones, and fax machines may be monitored, and personal possessions in hotel rooms, including computers, may be searched without the consent or knowledge of the traveler.

*Business disputes in China are not always handled through the courts. Sometimes the foreign partner has been held hostage, threatened with violence, or beaten up.

*Pickpockets target tourists at sightseeing destinations, open-air markets, airports, and in stores, often with the complicity of low-paid security guards.

*Arguments with taxi drivers over fares or over choice of route usually are not easily resolved on the scene. In some cases, Americans who instigate such arguments have been detained for questioning and have not been released until the fare is paid or a settlement is reached and the American offers an apology.

*Relationship fraud via the Internet is also a growing industry. While many Chinese citizens are sincere in their desire to marry and live with Americans they meet over the Internet, some are not. It is important to remember that immigrant visas to the United States are viewed by many Chinese as having a great deal of value, and it is not uncommon for people to enter into relationships for the sole purpose of obtaining a visa. Unfortunately, the Embassy is unable to carry out investigations of relationships of this sort, but all Americans are urged to approach such Internet relationships with caution, and to be wary of situations which appear similar to that described above. (And to think I had hopes of some agency to be responsible for investigating the legitimacy of my relationships...)

*China has a system similar to "911" in the United States which the Chinese can use to contact police or other emergency services. Americans can call 110 while in China to reach this service; however, there are few to no English speakers working for this hotline.

*Ambulances do not carry sophisticated medical equipment. Injured or seriously ill Americans may be required to take taxis or other immediately available vehicles to the nearest major hospital rather than waiting for ambulances to arrive. Rural clinics are often reluctant to accept responsibility for treating foreigners, even in emergency situations.

*Tuberculosis is an increasingly serious health concern in China. (I guess I'll have to get tested when I get home...I guess I should, since I never did when I got home from Australia. I wonder why my stake pres never got after me for that.)

*There have been increasing numbers of foreigners coming to China to receive procedures prohibited in the United States relating specifically to stem-cell research. Any person contemplating these treatments should be fully aware of the risks of such procedures. The treatments can be dangerous and untested. The results are not guaranteed. In many instances, patients going for treatment develop secondary infections that cannot be handled by these facilities. They are transferred to hospitals for treatment and are responsible for all additional costs, including repatriation back to the United States. In some cases, these treatments have resulted in death.

*The rate of traffic accidents in China, including fatal accidents, is among the highest in the world. Driving etiquette in China is still developing. As a result, traffic is often chaotic, and right-of-way and other courtesies are often ignored. Travelers should note that cars and buses traveling in the wrong lanes frequently hit pedestrians and bicyclists.

*The number of American citizens involved in serious and deadly traffic accidents in Beijing is increasing.

This one is probably my favorite:
*Most incidents (such as an accident) will draw a crowd. Drivers should remain calm. A crowd will usually move in very close to the accident and participants. In many cases the bystanders consider themselves to be an ad hoc jury. They may call for money, usually from RMB 100 to 1,000, to be paid by the party they consider at fault. The amount is not necessarily relevant to the amount of damage. A certain amount of bargaining is normal, even at accidents involving two Chinese parties. If a traffic police booth is nearby, you may wish to leave the vehicle and walk there to await the arrival of the police accident team [to hide from the crowd]. Alternatively, you may walk to a shop, restaurant, or other location nearby in the immediate vicinity and wait for police.Your vehicle should not leave the scene of an accident. Your actions may serve to further incite the crowd if they perceive that you are fleeing to evade responsibility for your share of blame or payment of damages. The crowd may attempt to keep your vehicle at the accident scene by standing in the way or blocking the roadway with vehicles, bicycles and other objects.

*Chinese customs authorities may enforce strict regulations concerning temporary importation into or export from China of items such as antiquities, banned publications, religious literature (which may be imported for the visitor’s personal use only) [I knew this by word of mouth but it's interesting to read it in print]

*Non-American foreigners have been executed for drug offenses.

*Several Americans have been detained and expelled for passing out non-authorized Christian literature. Sentences for distributing this material may range from three to five years' imprisonment. (I'll leave my treasured pass-along cards at home.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What more can I say than, "I'm so grateful for the country I live in!" Goodluck in China!!

Kristi said...

Yikes! Don't go! What if something happens and you have to take a taxi to the hospital and its crazy and he kills 5 other people along the way, causing you to stop for 5 crowd-induced trials costing you more money than you have and then you can't pay and end up in jail! Don't go! Please!!!!