*I guess I was wrong about not being able to finish, because I wrote another few lines. I guess the sentiment lasted longer than a couple of hours.
It's Too Quiet
I wasn't lonely 'til the rain came,
drops on the glass the only sound.
But what I want to hear is my name
while I am driving you around.
I thought that this was what I wanted,
thought I could go out on my own.
Thought I could fly, but I am grounded.
Don't want to do this all alone.
Now there's a palm tree out my window.
Against the moon, I guess it's nice.
But it also casts a shadow,
A doubt that I can do this right.
1. A writer who wants to keep her ideas keeps a notebook on her nightstand or in her purse rather than scribbling on napkins at dinner (guilty) or receipts while waiting in line (and guilty). I've discovered a voice recorder on my phone that fulfills a similar purpose for when I'm driving (or moonlight power walking on the beach...it's therapeutic) and I find a companionship of lyrics and a simple melody on my mind. If I were Missy Higgins or Casey Cotter, someone else would hear what I recorded on my phone. But since I am Savanna and I actually don't know how to compose music, it will endure only as words.
That was song-downgraded-to-unfinished poem. Nope, it's not directed at anyone. The ideas came as a package and I unfolded them. I stepped outside tonight and realized that driving to a stranger's house and buying their desk and bringing it home to assemble it (and many other things in life) is a lot more fun if you're hanging out with someone.
And you know what? It's not great, but I want to keep it. And I might even finish it.
2. Somewhere there is a book that I carried around as my poetry journal for a few years. Most of the things I wrote were unfinished. My closest friend my freshman year used to tease me about this. He said I should create a book of unfinished poetry, finishable by the reader, for my honors project (which project I never did). If I don't finish a poem within the sitting where I wrote it, it probably will never be finished. Inspiration must be in the room with me.
Actually, I think I'll go look for that book.

4 comments:
Lovely. You are a good writer.
I love the poem Savanna.
I love that you referenced Missy Higgins and Casey together :) This is a really good post
You are a dear. What an honor to be marveling over your writing abilities and then for you to make a reference about yours truly. It made me smile and made me want to call you and chat for a good 3 hours right now if it wasn't super late on the south east coast. I REALLY do miss you. You are a friend that is always up for something and whatever that 'something' is is fun because of your laugh and your wit and the fact that you do value depth in conversation (as you stated you craved in an above post). You are lovely. Since you are asleep on the other side of the country, most likely, I will go in and write to try to live up to your sweet reference.
Post a Comment