I've had a powerful week.
And that's NOT because I'm getting transferred. They did it right this time: for the first time, I don't know where I'm going. :) I was planning to stay in Frankston North until the end of my mission so, if I didn't know and trust that President Lindley made the decisions by pure inspiration, I would be a little devastated. I've invested so much in building relationships with people, with my companion, with my district leader and the other elders, with the ward members, with my investigators. I guess I need more practice because it's time to start over again.
Yesterday morning we taught Jenna, the Buddhist lady from Thailand who is anxious to become a Christian. The Spirit was strong. I wish people could experience this; there's NO WAY all this is not real. I thought she would have Word of Wisdom concerns, but she doesn't. It was too easy. When they are prepared, they have no problems accepting the commandments we teach them, even if it means change. I wish it were that easy for me to change. We brought a member along, and while I was explaining the Word of Wisdom and the gift of the Holy Ghost, I felt to promise her specific blessings of protection if she would obey this law. I now understand that commandment at a deeper level. We also taught Ken, the husband of a lady who was baptised a couple of years ago. Both Ken and Jenna told me about very specific, frightening experiences they had and it made me think all day about the immense, encompassing protection we are granted if we will just keep a few simple commandments. People are suffering needlessly all around the world, not having access to this protection. It is real. I realized that a mission is such a blessed experience partly because we are protected so much to the point that we don't ever have to truly suffer if we do what we're here to do. It's so humbling for me to see all these blessings I receive, none of which I have earned.
In the beauty of the lillies, Christ was born across the sea
with a glory in his bosom that transfigures you and me
as He died to make men holy, LET US LIVE TO MAKE MEN FREE
our God is marching on.
That's what I'm doing now, living to make men free, and right now that means free from suffering that comes of spiritual darkness. The only thing I know how to say is that I know it's real. "O, be swift my soul to answer him, be jubilant my feet..."
I'm trying to get to the end of the Book of Mormon by the new year. This means 10 or more pages a day. I'm in the beginning of 3rd Nephi now, and what impressed me most was the phrases saying that all the prophecies the prophets had ever spoken were being fulfilled. All of them according to the words of the Lord. And now in Australia I love reading the prophecies in the morning and seeing them fulfilled throughout the day. The same exact thing that happened hundreds of years ago is happening now. This is real.
In other news, Corey's baptism is going ahead. The family is SO excited. They're seeing it as their Christmas present to themselves. I'm going to miss the Ngaira family so much. I thought they were "my family," meaning the family I've been praying to work with throughout my whole mission. Last night the older Sister Ngaira, the grandmother, who lives pretty much next door, came over around 9:30 pm and kinda just walked in. We're not supposed to have visitors, but I couldn't bear to ask an old lady bearing gifts to leave. She gave me something I've been hoping for since forever: a Maori bone carving pendant. She told me it stands for faith, hope, and charity, and all good things in life. Sister Mesake got one too. These are special because they can't be bought, only received from a Maori person that thinks highly of you. And she said they've been blessed, but I'm not sure what to think about that :) It was beautiful.
Oh, and we taught TJ, Kris, and Kirsty, and finally brought up baptism, and I thought they'd be weird, but they thought it was really cool. So we'll work with them toward that. Meaning, the next sister will. Grr. If they were to have any social concerns, they would have come up by now, so they'll be right after a lot of teaching. Um, April called after dodging her ride to church Sunday. She said she "didn't want to be baptised under Joseph Smith" and wouldn't have it explained to her that Joseph Smith received and restored the authority to baptise in the name of Jesus Christ. It was just too hard though, too dramatic, and now it's by her agency that anything will happen. We did our best.
So. I'm really sad that I'm leaving Frankston. I was in the middle of creating a legacy.
Love you
Savanna

No comments:
Post a Comment