I'm a Mormon.

Thursday, January 22, 2009

..u.n.s.e.t.t.l.e.d..

I hereby solicit your comments!!!! (Read: help me!!!!) Information I can't get online which you might be able to give me:
  • Strength of the Church, most particularly YSA/Institute
  • Where you, with outside perspective, think I could be happiest

I have an important choice to make, and I don't know how to make it, and I don't know how to choose without any experience with the places or this kind of choice and I am on edge and yelling at the phone whenever it rings (I'm playing receptionist today) because it interrupts my thoughts. This coming Monday I have to rank my preferences for where I want to teach if I get accepted to TfA. I think my first choice is DC: I've always wanted to live there, so why not now?; there I have connections and extended family, good friends, a temple; and lest we forget, it is the seat of our national government and so stirs my passions more than anything possibly could. But I want to be prepared with other preferences.

Factors most important to me: the character of the place (whether urban/diversity/charm/community feel), a temple nearby, leadership opportunities, the presence of close friends, a YSA and church scene. Basically I want a place to belong. A shoreline is a huge deal too.

All of these places sing to me. Here's what is attracting me so far, and keep in mind that I am most interested in educational leadership and policy, not teaching, as an eventual career. From the TFA website:

New York City: HUGE professional development opportunities

Chancellor Klein has called upon Teach For America alumni to take on even greater school leadership roles, including helping to fill some of the several hundred projected principal vacancies in the coming years. Many Teach For America alumni have assumed leadership roles at all levels of the school system — from leading traditional public schools and starting public charter schools, to assuming administrative roles within the Department of Education. Currently, over 100 Teach For America alumni serve as superintendents, principals, assistant principals, and principals-in-training in New York City, and many more serve in key leadership roles in district offices. 58% of placements are in secondary schools. Average Beginning New York City Teacher Salary: $45,530

Connecticut: close to Boston (you're my home); low barriers to teaching

Life in Connecticut offers corps members both the excitement and vibrancy of a metropolitan area and the distinct pleasures of small-town New England (I don't want to leave New England!!!). The benefits of small-city living also include many opportunities to become deeply involved in our communities; corps members serve on district and city committees, join non-profit boards, participate in local politics and quickly become significant leaders in the reform movements in the region. Being a part of the Connecticut education system right now is very special. TfA Connecticut is a state-approved Alternate Route to Certification (meaning I don't have to get a Master's degree in teaching, ew). All Connecticut corps members are required to either pass the PRAXIS I series in reading, writing and mathematics or secure a waiver if they received a score that was an 1100 or higher on the SAT or 22 or higher on the ACT (apparently I pass the PRAXIS already if I go to CT, big bonus). Beginning Teacher Salary: around $40,000.

Charlotte: doesn't the Queen City sound like an appropriate place for me? Sounds like a BRILLIANT quality of life.

Charlotte uniquely blends both urban and rural aspects of Northern and Southern living. (Wow! A collision of all wonderful things!) In 2008, a four million dollar gift enabled Charlotte to nearly double the size of its corps, becoming Teach For America’s second fastest growing region. Money magazine recently rated Charlotte one of the top ten places to live in America. All licensure courses at UNCC are available at no cost to the corps members (!!!!!!!!!!). Beginning Teacher Salary: $34,386

Jacksonville: opportunity to build community; low barrier to teaching because I don't have to be professionally certified; goodbye winter

There will be numerous chances for new Jacksonville corps members to assume corps leadership positions in the region's second year. Recent charter corps members have valued the unique experience of leading Teach For America's movement in a new area of the country. Forbes magazine often ranks this southern hub as of one of the top 10 cities to relocate to and find a job. Water sports at award winning beaches. The Jacksonville community—including prominent district, community, and business leaders—welcomes corps members and is vocal about its support of Teach For America. In addition to building partnerships with the school and community leaders (networking and building relationships is what I do best), *Something wonderful about Florida is I don't need to be certified to teach) Beginning Teacher Salary: $37,000

Miami: Adventuresome; pretty much Caribbean; confronting; I bet I can learn Spanish

Miami-Dade is a community where over 40 percent of the population earns less than $18,000 a year. Such contrasts define the Miami-Dade school system as well,
Upon moving to Miami-Dade, corps members quickly witness the incredible range of opportunities available for them to embrace and take on – from immersing themselves in the culture of Little Haiti to exploring the treasures of the everglades and the agricultural lifestyle of South Dade, to identifying the Caribbean and Latin influence in the dining and arts worlds. In Miami-Dade, corps members are immersed in an incredibly rich, vibrant community and in turn become catalysts for a powerful change in the academic prospects of their students. (This actually sounds REALLY cool) The Miami-Dade County Public School System (M-DCPS) is the country's fourth largest. A free certification program offered through M-DCPS. In addition, corps members interested in school leadership are able to enroll in a master's degree program at Florida International University and follow a track leading to administrator certification (This is what I want to do anyway, but I was thinking I'd do it at Harvard or another top 10 school.) Beginning Teacher Salary: $38,000

Chicago: I just like it

Chicago has long been a leading source of American innovation. During the warm months, Chicagoans are rarely inside. Over the next five years, the size of the Chicago corps is expected to double — further increasing our impact in Chicago. I LOVE Chicago and my anima gemella (soulmate) best friend Shove lives there...but she lives with a guy so we can't be roommates. The danger is the possibility of being placed in Gary, Indiana.

Baton Rouge: COMMUNITY and a new culture and close to New Orleans and oh-so-needy

Despite being a city of 750,000 people, Baton Rouge is a city of neighborhoods – and no matter where you choose to live during your time here, you will be a part of a neighborhood culture unique among all the others. Life in South Louisiana is not life in one of the major American cities – and that is one of its strengths. While Baton Rouge is large enough to offer city-style conveniences, you can still take comfort in the fact that the environment is friendly and personable. The time it takes to travel across town is not only manageable, but if you have a bike it’s 30 minutes. As fierce as the pride is in South Louisiana communities, it never acts as a barrier to newcomers. In fact, South Louisianans are so proud of their towns and culture that they are eager to bring you in and share their recipes, their church pews, and their latest crop of sweet potatoes (this is so sweet!). Enter a South Louisiana community, and you are immediately not merely a neighbor, but a member of the family. Just days after moving in, expect phone calls, notes, or care packages. In the blistering heat or blustery storms, expect check-ins from “parents” around town. South Louisiana is desperate, but never depressed. Its people and its culture exude hope, happiness, and ease of life. Corps members in South Louisiana form fierce friendships. The contagious porch-culture affects even the non-natives who join us here. Many corps members hold leadership roles at their schools. Some continue working in their communities after the two years as teachers and school leaders, as students in the numerous graduate programs, as leaders at local nonprofit organizations, think tanks, universities, and businesses.

Washington DC: Savanna's obvious choice; More risk of small fish-big pond; lots of like-minded young Mormons :)

One of the most vibrant metropolitan areas in the country, the D.C. Region retains a Southern charm and offers its own intellectual stimulation, social activities, and incredibly diverse population. D.C. Region corps members serve mainly in two large school districts; the District of Columbia Public Schools and Prince George’s County Public Schools

If you really read all this, I think you get a prize (conditional upon your granting me advice). Give me your address! :)

10 comments:

Liz H. said...

i grew up in DC. you should totally go there :) several singles wards.

Rachey said...

D.C. obviously. But my second choice would be San Fran, I love that city!

teachergirl said...

DC sounds fabulous.

but i still think baton rouge. i read it and it sings savanna. but...that's just me. and i'm not licensed to receive revelation for you. <3

Colleen said...

Your money would go a lot further in Texas, but Houston kinda sucks. But, it has a good singles scene, so you know. You definitely could make more of a splash there...

I vote D.C. or NYC though your money would be way stretched.

No to Jacksonville.

michelle said...

I for sure say Charlotte, Chicago, or DC. I would not go to Houston: hot, flat, and humid = yuck. Baton Rouge sounds cool too but is there a good single's scene down there?? That's very important! I can just see you in Charlotte!! Savanna darling I hope you are doing well.

Kristi said...

PROVO!!!!!!!!!! :)

Kristi said...

OK, now for my real advice. I hate to agree with you (I know you want a fresh prespective) and everybody else but DC really sounds like the best choice. 1. I don't know this for myself, but it sounds like there are a lot of young mormons there... a total MUST for you I think. You need friends and you need good inspiring friends that you can grow with. 2. Temple 3. Big Important City with tons of history and important things to do 4. Simthsonion 5. Eastern Sea Board (boo :( ) and 6. If you've got family there I think it seals the deal.

If not DC then my second choice is NYC. 1. Temple 2. Big Important City with tons of important thing to do 3. LEADERSHIP OPPS. 4. Eastern Sea Board (boo :( )

You know my address, what's my prize? :)

Case said...

If it was me, I would fly down to Charlotte for a weekend and check out the social scene. I think that option sounds great as far as the style of the land and life there.

Also D.C. sounds fun because it sounds like it has a great social scene there.

ooooh, and I love San Fran too.

Those would be MY choices, but I am not Savanna. I am sure you and the Man upstairs will come up with something so so great.

Unknown said...

Hello my dear. Here are my little 2 cents from what friends have told me about those cities (and from some of my own experience)...

1) DC has huge singles population. Also huge proporation of girls compared to boys. Not bad. Simply a fact. I have a friend who is currently a teacher there. If you want to ask her any questions, email me. And I can send you her email address etc. You would LOVE her.

2) NYC has a huge singles population (3 singles wards in Manhattan). Also huge proportion of girls compared to boys. As mentioned before, not bad, but simply a fact. I have a friend who is doing Teach for America there (Jonathan Curtis...maybe you met him in Italy?) However, he's married so has a slightly different viewpoint on social life. Let me know if you would like to get in contact with him.

3) Chicago has small singles population (there was one singles branch that I know of...) but is a great city. Lots of culture. Lots of political corruption (from what I hear from my brother, much more than makes the news). :)

4) You are amazing. And will be uber happy wherever you go.

5) Props to you my dear. I looked at the TfA programme and it just about blew me out of the water. I don't have the guts for that. You're a brave cookie. And you will do incredible things.

That's all I have. Savanna is a southern name...They'd like you down there.

Unknown said...

oh yeah. my brother lives in NY. and we're moving to NY. so email me if you want my brother's input (he's just graduated out of the singles ward) or my input (I went to the singles ward for a summer). :)