I'm a Mormon.

Monday, September 7, 2009

some highlights from school

I've been the instructional leader of room 233 for two whole weeks. Wouldn't you like to know what's been going on? A comprehensive report will never happen, but here are some of my favorite moments. In chronological order.

1. I was NOT expecting this! My first note from my program director. I carried it around with me for a few minutes after I read it. He left it on his way out of his observation of my class Thursday during first week of school. I was expecting "hey Savanna, your lesson was actually boring, and you should have responded to those two students this way." He visited during my first period class. If Tom would have attended my 5th or 6th period class, his song would have been different. By the way Tom, I love my kids too!



2. My executive director came to observe my class this week. The note she left said this was the funniest thing she'd ever seen:

Ms N: Everyone point at the new poster in the room. Can I have a silent volunteer read the new poster?
Some student: "'No one has written your destiny for you. Your destiny is in your hands, and don't you forget that.' --President Barack Obama
Ms N: What does this quote mean?
Students: You are in charge of your life. You control your future. And so on.
Ms N: Everyone point at the person in this room who controls your life
Most students: [point at themselves]
Contingent of students in the corner of the room: [point at the ceiling]
Ms N: [what are they doing?] No! Point at the person in this room who controls your life.
Students in the corner: [continue to point at the ceiling]
Ms N: No! Who has control over your life?
Students in the corner: God!
Ms N: [pause...] I hadn't factored that in.

3. G, 6th grader, who smiles so big when she understands something. Walking by me as I guide the line to lunch: Ms Nilsen, you look pretty today. I like the color of your eyes.
Ms N on the inside: [moved to tears] G, that is so sweet! Thank you so much! Little people are mean to me all day and then you say something like that and it makes everything better and it means so much to me.
Ms N on the outside: [very professionally, composed, with a coating of distance] Why thank you, G. THat's very kind of you.

4. Next. We're filling out a guided notes page on comparing hurricanes and tornadoes.
One of my students, very urgently: How do you know all this?

:)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

branden and i concur- you are awesome. way proud of you (i know, i'm not your mom...but i'm just proud of you and how neat you are.)

Kristi said...

Great stories. I loved them all. Keep them coming.

RyGuy said...

I loved reading this! It sounds like you are enjoying it and doing a great job as well. Very cool Savanna!

trentathon said...

#9. Don't think that you are running out of ideas to get in touch with me online. I can think of so many more outlets. Well what if your students find out about your blog? What will you do then?