I'm a Mormon.

Sunday, February 14, 2010

18 February 2009: Kaifeng

山 shan. mountain.

Watching CCTV9, a news feature called Dialogue is on discussing the Chinese president's 5-nation African tour. It's pretty much just veiled yet specific criticism of the US. For example: "What do you think about Steven Spielberg's boycotting the Beijing Olympic Ceremonies in response to China's involvement with the Sudanese government?" "First of all, if there was any loss, it's his. Second, people tend to focus on specific examples. They must see the general principle that China maintains--non-interference in other countries' domestic affairs. We wouldn't go in unilaterally." Other example: "How does this visit contradict the Western criticism about Chinese involvement with human rights and humanitarian aid?" "Well China has never participated in slavery of the African nations or in racial discrimination for political purposes..." And "How does Pres. Hu's visit contradict the Western criticism that China is only involved in countries with rich national resources?" "Well 4 of the 5 countries are not known for their natural resources." It surprised me how much the program served as an apologist for China's foreign policy decision and subtle yet specific criticism of Western (read: US) behavior.

Anyway, I'm in Kaifeng staying at Wang He's uncle's empty house. Everyone is taking such great care of me. Kaifeng is an ancient city. Some great photos will come of today. We went to the plaza last night with all the snacks Richard told me about so long ago. I got hit (kind of, the back wheel rubbed my leg) by a rickshaw, which I think is funny. So last night was a lively environment.

(later that day...)

Had so much fun touring a park here in Kaifeng. I got a Chinese name. It's Yang Hui (Yang: foreign/fashion and Hui: clever/lovely) and the boys are excited about it. I hit my stride with chopsticks. Gao Xinhua said he's learned a lot from me about Americans, which makes me nervous :)

We ate these dumplings/buns that look like flowers when in the pan, then you pick them up and they look like lanterns. You bite and suck the juice out then eat it. Fun.

I also got my picture taken with some traditional costume. I was embarrassed at first but then loved it. A girl wanted a photo with me.

No comments: