I'm a Mormon.

Sunday, February 14, 2010

26 February 2009: Shanghai

Just read Helaman 11. It said at a certain point the majority of the Nephites and Lamanites were members of the church. One of the things I hate most that I hear at church is when missionary work comes up and there is way too much emphasis placed on being a good example and not enough on actually talking to people or actually doing something that might be hard. One RS lesson in LP2 last fall in particular made me realize how ineffective and scared we are. So when it said most people were members of the church I thought of this be-a-good-example-equals-fulfilling-my-missionary-responsibilities attitude. Yeah, I bet all the onlooking Lamanites/Nephite nonmembers saw the church members' examples and wanted to change. No, it was only the preaching of the word that made the change. Too many members want the "There's something different about you...what is it? I want it?" fairy tale (albeit one that does sometimes come true) and so keep on living, "keep doing what's right" (that detestable vague phrase so often used) until fairytale investigator comes along. How unfortunate is it that we think someone will see us "doing what you know is right" quietly every day, perceive that we have some source of joy they don't have, ascribe it to some minority, misunderstood religion, ask us what makes us different, and accept an invitation (which probably won't be offered) to learn more about the gospel. That approach leaves so much up to chance, so much room for misunderstanding and misinterpretation. So improbable that it will work.

I need to remember Sister L.'s example if I'm not going to be one of those who is at ease in Zion. I don't want to be. So I need to continually create opportunities to invite people to things. I think T--f-A-- will help me with this. May I receive this opportunity.

In other news, I need to figure out how to feed myself today. I think I'll go to the aquarium.

No comments: