Do you catch a vision the way you catch a cold?
This will be the best year of my life-to-date, so I've decided. I'm going to catalyze by conceptualizing things I want to happen. I have a success story that leads me to do this:
In June 2005, I made a list of things I want to do before I die. I recorded the desire to see Beethoven's 9th Symphony performed live, as well as the aspiration to sing the national anthem at a sporting event. Scarcely a week passed and news of opportunities to do both arrived by email. I found out that the Utah Symphony would be playing the 9th Symphony that September. I bought tickets. Isaiah came with me. Check that off the list. I also got an invitation to audition to sing the Star-Spangled Banner at a minor league baseball game. I'm not a performer; I just wanted to do it. I auditioned, they liked me, and I sang to open the Orem Owlz game on June 24.
May the dream-defining magic still be in force.
What I want during Fiscal Year 2009, in no particular order but divided into time frames according to how much I need to prepare and practice.
This week
-There's an especial amount of uncertainty in my life. I need direction. And comfort. I want to be astounded by General Conference.
-I want to do all the things I've been meaning to do, especially write thank-you notes, mail Bostonasaurus to my little brother, mail letters, organize my room, apply for health insurance
This month
-Get a career-type job
-See Cinderella at the Boston Ballet
-Get a haircut
-Find jeans that actually fit me. This is harder than you might think.
-Get some winter clothes (cold! scary! scary! scary! Do you know how long it's been since I've seen snow?)
Three months
-Buy a computer, more specifically a ThinkPad
-Get an eye exam and more contacts
-Visit Waterbury and see my old house and elementary schools
Six months
-I want a decorated bedroom that somehow incorporates both orange and green in a spirited, classy, pizazzed, Sav-style way.
-Take the GRE
-Learn Spanish
-I want a subscription to the Economist
-Take a [ideally, Harvard Extension School] class in micro- or macroeconomics and maybe Chinese (this is absolutely dependent on getting a real job at Harvard or another job that offers tuition reimbursement)
-Get better at math
-Be a vibrant visiting teacher
-I want a spark of organizational genius
Twelve months
-Save enough money to solidly apply to grad school in 2009, from a test prep class if it's the LSAT to testing through to applications. Oh, and actually apply.
-Fitness goals: this is as of yet undefined, but it incorporates the Charles, Walden Pond, the Massachusetts Bay, my new running shoes, my tennis tennis shoes, the tennis rackets I must replace, the Bunker Hill monument, a jumprope, snowshoes, dancing (ooh! good way to survive the winter!), and living on the fourth floor of a building with no elevator.
Ready for it when you are
-Increased social stability. ha ha ha. This is a euphemism. People usually euphemize to avoid talking about bad things, but by social stability I mean a good thing.
-Missionary opportunities leading to events involving water
-A visit from my sister(s)
-A best friend in New England, or a few
-Monthly road trips (this is actually going pretty well)
-I want to be the most considerate, responsible roommate I have ever been, which shouldn't be that hard because I'm not consumed by school as I usually have been.
-I want to be a better writer. This requires reading great books. Suggestions?
-Okay, I've always wanted a love note on my car. Please?
-I want to experience financial independence.
-Be a better sister/daughter even from far away
-Learn to integrate fruits and vegetables more regularly and creatively in cooking and meals
-Show some appreciation for the legacy and traits inherited from the ancestors by getting to know them
-REALLY settle in. "Bloom where you are planted." Continue to learn to enjoy every moment. Become New England while I'm here.
---
And these are more lifelong goals
-Find what I call "my thing." Most people have a "my thing," what they're REALLY good at and love doing. I don't have one yet.
-Live with happy, responsible, creative, confident little people that look a bit like me
-Develop spiritual sensitivity
-Be reaaaaaally deliberate about life; take control. I am somewhat good at this. I want to be fabulous at it.
---
Trips I want to take this year
-Norway for family history. Okay maybe that won't happen this year because I want to learn some Norwegian first.
-Prince Edward Island/Nova Scotia. Already slated for next spring.
-Florida. I promised.
-Seattle
-D.C.
-Louisiana
Trips I want to take someday
-Sicilia: circuit in convertible when the almond trees are blooming
-Eastern Europe/Russia. Reflect on history, humanity, progress.
-Australia for like a month
-China, Thailand
-Something on every continent. I think the African Savanna would be appropriate.
I know the items on my list are not stylistically consistent. I'm sorry, except not really enough to fix it. :)

4 comments:
You know what they always say, goals aren't goals until their writen down in a stylistically consistent way.
Also, Dracula, Little Women, Pilgrims Progress (I actually didn't finish that one, but it is way deep), and that's all I can think of really quick off the top of my head, but I know there are tons!
And also, isn't there something about conference weekend that gets you all excited! There is just something inside of me that is bursting all the time and can't wait, I think it means this is going to be a memorable conference (go ahead and quote me on this one!)
dearest-
1) we should be moving to new england if branden gets into a good law school. i hope that will help at least one of those goals (new england friends?)
2) way to take life by the horns.
3) branden speaks chinese. he likes speaking it to anyone. and is a good teacher. see #1 above to see how this might affect you.
4) got your message on my phone right before we took off across the atlantic. i loved it. it made me happy. i'm so sorry for not being able to call you back. if you have skype, we can remedy this.
much love.
Man - this post makes me want to sit down and figure out my life all in one blog post like you have! What a great post. Good stuff, Sava.
You are amazing!!... as always :)
Post a Comment