I'm a Mormon.

Saturday, September 6, 2008

I am Zeniff?

I just read Mosiah 9 and found some uncanny similarities between me and Zeniff. :)

It's never registered before how audacious a desire Zeniff had in wanting to return to the land of Lehi-Nephi. In 2 Nephi 5 (588-569 BC), it got so dangerous for Nephi and his people to live there that they had to separate themselves from their relatives. Nearly 400 years later, Zeniff risked his security so he could be where his fathers Lehi and Nephi disembarked, where it all started you could say.

Now, nearly 400 years after my ancestors arrived by boat and settled in what was the Massachusetts Bay Colony, I have returned to the land of my forefathers (the non-Scandinavian side). I've been thinking a lot about my ancestors lately and imagining what their reaction would be to my being here. They joined the church back when it was organized in New England and paid a painful price to move away from persecution and out to the West. Was it a giant act of regression for me to come out here?

Zeniff was over-zealous to inherit the land of his fathers. With real estate prices high as they are, I don't plan on possessing the land of my fathers quite yet. I must say though that I was anxious, if not zealous, to be here.

I am all the wiser for having recognized these similarities. It would be prudent for me to not name any of my sons Noah.

1 comment:

Kristi said...

lol! Love the Noah comment!